(Here’s an outline for a presentation that I did in my Fundamentals of Music Education Class)
The founder of Kindergarten
– Children are considered to be little adults
– Women were discouraged from having careers
– Young children were incapable of learning social and intellectual skills
Then along came Froebel –
– Froebel deduced that brain development is most pronounced between birth and age 3
– Froebel invented both child-centered and whole-child approaches to education, urging educators to “follow the child.”
– Froebel recognized that humans are creative beings and must be taught about creating through observation of nature and through a process of creative activities.
– Froebel pioneered the use of music, movement, games and craft activities (including geometric paper-folding) in an educational setting, including the use of finger plays with children.
– Froebel invented play-based education and the concept of the prepared environment.
The meaning of Kindergarten (garden of children)
- creative play, which Froebel called gifts and occupations
- singing and dancing for healthy activity
- observing and nurturing plants in a garden for stimulating awareness of the natural world
- Preschool care options –
structured kindergarten groups
smaller, privately run child-minding services.
- In Germany every child has a legal right to attend kindergarten from the age of three until the age of six (then it’s compulsory) Some kindergartens also accept children under the age of three in toddler groups. The kindergartens are run by local authorities, religious organisations (generally protestant or Catholic churches) or by private associations.